Spring

Spring

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Walking the Creek

It was a gorgeous day today. Invigorated by the warmth, the breeze, and the smell of spring, I wandered out to the creek to see what may have changed since my last visit.


One thing is for sure, the male Cardinals have been very active recently. I see them battling each other, then going to different parts of the yard to lay claim to their territory by singing from a high up branch. While walking along the creek, I noticed several Cardinals either drinking at the water's edge or bathing in the still cool waters. 


 I decided to turn over a few stones to see if creatures were stirring and to my surprise I spotted two large salamanders and about four smaller salamanders at various points along the creek. As soon as I lifted a stone, they would slither away so quickly that sometimes all I saw was the water ripple and a cloud of mud. However, if I moved very slowly when I lifted things, I was able to catch a glimpse of them. Can you spot the one below?


Did you know that the name "salamander" comes from the Greek word for Fire Lizard. This name came about when salamanders came running out of the logs they had been hiding in when those logs were thrown on a fire. Tennessee has about 52 different types of salamanders, while North America has around 150 species.

Another exciting find was a small crayfish. Did you ever notice that they walk forwards, but swim backwards? As they grow they shed their skin and often eat it for the calcium it contains. They are scavengers, so they eat pretty much anything they can find (fish, water plants, worms, insects, snails, and yes, even each other).


Spring cleaning along my creek
These sightings mean that the waters are warming up a bit and spring is just around the corner. I can hardly wait! However, not all was beautiful along my section of creek. Sporadic flooding washes garbage down the creek, where it remains until someone decides to pick it up or another flood pushes it further downstream. I think it would be wonderful if everyone started paying attention to their little spot of earth and/or water and caring about it enough to pick up the trash that pollutes it. If each person did their part, what a difference could be made!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for you children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance."
 ~ Theodore Roosevelt



No comments:

Post a Comment